HomeLet have 25 years’ experience of serving the lettings market with specialist insurance products. Both HomeLet and Rentshield Direct are trading names of Barbon Insurance Group Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
Top Tips for Tenants
After many years of working closely with tenants, we have produced these tips which we hope you will find of use:
- Make sure you receive a copy of your deposit certificate and keep it safe.
- Make sure that you get a detailed inventory, if possible with photographs of the condition of the property. Make sure it is dated, and that both you and the landlord or letting agent sign it.
- Make sure you view a copy of the Gas Safety certificate before you start the tenancy.
- If the landlord or letting agent has agreed to carry out certain repairs, make sure you list these in writing and agree completion dates.
- Make a note of the gas, electric and water meter readings when you move in.
- If you have pets or children make sure you get written permission from the landlord or letting agent.
- Make sure that you test the smoke alarms when moving in and frequently during your tenancy.
- Be present at the check out with the landlord or letting agent.
- Always make sure that you have read and understood your tenancy agreement. This is a legally binding document.
- It is a good idea to take out your own insurance, both contents and liability, to cover both your belongings and the landlords’ fixtures and fittings.
The Tenant Referencing Process
Every tenant will be referenced before the let can go ahead to check affordability and duty of care. To make this as fast and painless as possible you should:
- Be honest in your application.
- Give full and informative answers.
- Provide comprehensive contact details for your employer/current landlord/other relevant person.
- Ensure photographic identification and proof of address information is provided.
Referencing procedures could include (as applicable), checking of the following:
- Electoral roll
- Bank details
- Court judgements
- Previous landlord/agent references
- Financial references
- Non-disclosed information
- Guarantor references
If you require further information, please contact us