Tips for tenants

Moving house is a stressful time, there’s almost no avoiding that. But we’ve compiled a few tips to make moving to your property and your tenancy as a whole as smooth and easy as possible.

If you have provided a security deposit to your landlord or letting agent, they are required to protect this using a Government approved scheme and provide you with details of where your deposit is stored within 30 days. Keep this information to hand as you will be able to check the website of the deposit scheme that it is protected with.

Before you are accepted for a tenancy, your landlord/letting agent is also required to carry out a Right to Rent check on you. This is nothing to worry about and is now a legal requirement for ALL tenants, regardless of their nationality or heritage. You’ll be asked to provide copies of your passport or other documents confirming your status, and copies must be taken and stored.

Your letting agent or landlord are required by law to provide you with a series of documents when you move into a property, including a Gas Safety Certificate, an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) and The How to Rent: The checklist for renting guide (if in England).

Most letting agents will carry out an inventory at the beginning of the tenancy detailing the conditions of the property, which you both should sign. This is so that if there are any damage disputes when you move out, there is a record of the state of the property when you moved in. If you notice any damage at the property after the inventory has been completed, report this to your letting agent straight away.

If there are any maintenance issues throughout your tenancy, these should also be reported to your letting agent or landlord (whoever is responsible for repairs) as soon as possible. Although the original issue may not be your fault, if you leave certain issues unreported and they get worse over time, you could be held accountable.

Make a note of the gas, electric and water meter readings when you move in and when you move out – you’ll need these to set up any accounts with utility providers in the first instance, and having these noted down or photographed when you leave can help settle any disputes over bills when you have left.

You’ll generally be told who supplies your utilities when you sign the tenancy agreement, and you can contact the relevant companies to set up an account. But, be aware that you can also shop around for a better deal and switch suppliers if you want to.

Many tenants choose to take out Tenant’s Insurance to cover their liability for their landlord’s fixtures and fittings as well as for their own contents. We work in partnership with HomeLet to provide insurance to tenants – find out more here.

Take time to read your tenancy agreement carefully. Here you will most likely find any rules and responsibilities you should be aware of – such as if you are permitted to keep pets, if maintaining the garden is your responsibility and so on. Breaking the terms of your tenancy agreement can be very serious, so make sure you know what those terms are.

Your landlord or letting agent will most likely have a check out procedure where the condition of the property is documented, much like when you moved in. If not, it is worth taking some photos yourself, just in case.

Specialist insurance for tenants

We work in partnership with HomeLet to provide contents insurance for tenants. Our specialist insurance can provide the reassurance that should anything happen, the things that mean the most to you are protected, as well as your liability for your landlord’s belongings that you’re responsible for - Cover starts from just £11* per month.

Get a quote

* Cover starts at £11 per month for £50,000 of contents cover and £10,000 of Tenancy Liability cover; this price includes Insurance Premium Tax (IPT). Please note that a monthly admin fee of £1.99 will be payable if you choose to pay for your policy monthly.

Moving Day Tips